Thursday, May 6, 2010

Sabudana Vada/Appe (Gluten Free, Fat Free) / Tapioca Puffs.

In this part of the world, we are still getting our share of snow :-(
I wanted to make something hot n crunchy for my son for after school snack, but was not at all inclined towards a deep fried snack.
Had just made a batch of boiled potatoes, so what better way to use boiled potatoes for snack other then make tikkis or sabudana vadas, I opted for the latter :-)
I made sabudana vada but in an Appe pan/ Aeblevisker pan. They turned out pretty good, crispy on the outside and soft n mushy on the inside.

My Appe pan is non stick so I made them without a drop of oil, they are totally fat free :-)
Enjoy these guilt free vadas !!

Ingredients
3/4 cup sago,(washed and soaked in water enough to cover the sago for 1 hour then drain any water, I used mini sago pearls called as sago seeds, the size of mustard seeds),
3/4 cup potatoes, boiled and mashed,
2 tbsp chopped roasted peanuts,
3 tbsp chopped coriander leaves,
1 green chilly minced,
2 tsp lemon juice,
1 tsp cumin seeds/jeera,

Method.
  • Mix all the ingredients.
  • Heat Appe pan(pan has many indents/depression similar to muffin pan) on medium heat.
  • Make small balls of the dough and put in each indent of the appe pan.
  • Let cook for 3 minutes then turn, so that it cooks on the other side.
  • The other side will cook quicker, so cook may be 2 minutes on the other side.
  • I got 18 Appe Sabudana Vadas from the quantity of ingredients mentioned above.
  • Enjoy with whipped sweet yogurt, chutney or ketchup.
Note.
Can add a few drops of oil while cooking.
If you prefer a darker shade of browning for the vadas, cook a few minutes more on each side, but take care that they do not burn. I prefer mine just golden brown.
They were perfect snacks for my kids.

3 comments:

  1. I have been meaning to try the sabudana vada in the Appe pan for a long time now. Looks good and glad to have a recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Red Chillies - Thanks. I have made full use of my appe pan,which kid can resist a snack in the form of a cute tiny ball, atleast I cannot ;-)
    I use any kind of batter or dough to make appes, as long as my kids eat them, thats all that matters to me.

    ReplyDelete