Friday, October 30, 2009

Parsi Fish Sauce/Fish in Egg Sauce.

I came across this recipe in my mom's (one of the many) magazine cuttings(mostly Femina/Woman's Era/Eve's Weekly).
I have about 20lbs of paper (which I got from India), of recipe cuttings and recipe diaries and cookbooks collection that belonged to my Ma with me. These are my most priced possession in remembrance of my mother.

Now back to the recipe, to be more precise I found it in the 1978 Aug-Sep issue of Femina. It has a whole parsi menu for a meal. I decided to make this Parsi Fish Sauce.
I wasn't sure about the egg vinegar mixture and then not boiling it but it tasted wonderful, slightly tangy, slightly spicy. This recipe is definitely a keeper recipe.

Ingredients.
2 fish fillets cut in to pieces,
marinate fish for 1 hour in the following.
1/2 tsp cumin powder,
1 tsp red chilly powder,
1 tsp paprika(for color),
salt to taste,

1 tsp cumin seeds,
1 medium onion chopped,
3 green chillies,
2 cloves garlic minced,
2 tbsp flour,
2 eggs,
1/3 cup white vinegar,
2 tsp sugar,
salt to taste.
5 tbsp chopped coriander leaves.
4 tbsp oil.


Method
  • Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds, chopped onion, green chilly, garlic and fry well till cooked but not brown,
  • Add flour and cook for few more minutes till raw smell of flour goes away.
  • Then add 1/2 cup water and then add the marinated fish.
  • When the fish is cooked reduce heat to very low.
  • In the meanwhile beat eggs and mix vinegar and sugar in egg mixture and mix well.
  • Slowly add the egg mixture to the fish mixture on the stove.
  • DO NOT STIR.
  • Hold and lift the vessel and swirl the ingredients in the pan gently.
  • Cook for few minutes, do not boil or else the gravy will curdle.
  • When the sauce is thick take off heat and add chopped coriander leaves.
  • Serve with steaming rice.


Note.
The only changes I made in this recipe is the addition of cumin powder to the fish as in another Indian cookbook that I have it mentioned cumin powder and not cumin seeds, so I added both cumin seeds as well as cumin powder.
The second change is I added 1 tsp of paprika for color as the red chilly that I have does not give any color to the dish, so the paprika enhanced the color of the dish.

The recipe called for crispy fried onions along with coriander leaves for garnish, but I did not have crispy fried onions so just omitted it, but the dish tasted good anyways.
I reduced the recipe to 1/3rd of the original recipe.
This quantity that I made serves 2-3 people.
I used Sole(Lefoo in konkani) fillets, original recipe used pomfret.
You can add more green chillies or red chilly powder to make more spicy.


Participation.
This post is off to Meera's RCI - Parsi Cuisine started by Laxmi of Veggie Cuisine.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your delicious entry. I am sorry that I missed it in the roundup. I will add it right away. Thanks so much for participating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Meera for adding my entry to the round up.

    ReplyDelete